Monday, January 01, 1996

1995

  • The Best Films Of The Year:


  • 1. Leaving Las Vegas
    2. Dead Man Walking
    3. Braveheart
    4. The Usual Suspects
    5. Seven
    6. Heat
    7. The Basketball Diaries
    8. Twelve Monkeys
    9. Babe
    10. Toy Story

    Interesting dichotomy of films this year made the top ten. At the top, you have heavy dramas and at the bottom, family films. Notice also there are two movies with numbers in their titles, which made me want to rank them according to their titles, but I stuck to my guns.

    "Leaving Las Vegas" is one of my favorite films of all time. Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue were amazing in this film. I find the story and sheer desperation in the characters almost too compelling to put to words. I also found it very interesting that the book, written by John O'Brien, centered on Shue’s character while the movie was centered on Cage’s. It makes reading the book and then re-watching the film a worthwhile experience. So go do it.

    As I progress down the top ten, I’m impressed with the films that were released this year. From "Dead Man Walking" to "The Basketball Diaries", all very strong films that will stand up for many years to come.

    I put "Twelve Monkeys" on the list for two reasons mostly, Terry Gilliam and Brad Pitt. Gilliam is fantastic at creating different worlds for the audience to explore and this is one of Pitt’s finest performances. I really don’t like giving too much credit to sexy men that make all the women swoon (since I’m not one of them), but I have to give it up to Pitt. He’s the man.

  • The Worst Films Of The Year:


  • 1. Waterworld
    2. Showgirls
    3. Dracula: Dead And Loving It
    4. Pocahontas
    5. To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

    Equally as impressive as the number of great films this year was the depths that the worst films sank to. I paid one dollar to watch "Waterworld" at my college theatre and I want it back with interest! The movie is a huge rip-off of Mad Max, only instead of all land, no water, there’s all water and no land. I’ve heard good things about Kevin Costner as a person, but I question his choices sometimes. He allegedly fought to keep a full frontal shot of himself in the shower in "For Love Of The Game" and he’s in "Waterworld" peeing through a filter so he can drink it. Some interesting points for all those psychology majors to think about.

    "Showgirls" is atrocious. I personally think the very lovely Gina Gershon summed it up best in an episode of Dinner for Five by saying that her experience walking onto the set was like “going to a Miles Davis concert only to find Britney Spears.” I might have botched the quote, but the good musician was someone comparable to Miles. You get the point.

    "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" couldn’t even be enjoyed if you were, in fact, dead. "Pocahontas" is perhaps the worst Disney film of all time. It’s so boring (how boring is it?) that both myself and the person I was with fell asleep during the film. I fell asleep in the middle of the climactic battle scene. Now that’s sad. Rounding out the worst five is "To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar" But No Thanks For This Stupid Title. Just because there’s a script doesn’t mean it needs to be made into a movie. Case in point.

  • The Most Horrible Films That Are Fun To Watch:


  • 1. Mortal Kombat
    2. Judge Dredd
    3. Hackers
    4. Sudden Death
    5. Congo

    I almost placed "Species" on this list but it couldn’t compete with the watchability factors of these five films. "Mortal Kombat" is so cheesy and hilarious it should have been up for best comedic film at the Golden Globes. "Judge Dredd" reminds us that Sylvester Stallone is the law. "Hackers" is a computer nerd’s wet dream. The idea that someone like Angelina Jolie would be interested in any hardware that wasn’t attached to Brad Pitt is truly genius. "Sudden Death" is another personal guilty pleasure, thanks to the talents of Jean-Claude Van Damme. And "Congo" is one laugh after another. The cast is too talented to have created such a dud, I just wish I knew who to blame. Now go have some more sesame cake.

  • The Most Underrated/Overlooked Films Of The Year:


  • Mallrats
    Empire Records
    GoldenEye
    The American President

    While it bombed in theatres, "Mallrats" made its mark on college kids across America once it hit video store shelves. The jokes are crass and simple, but they work. Now every time I walk through a mall, I have to stop and say, “That kid is BACK on the escalator! I hope his pants get caught and a bloodbath ensues.”

    "Empire Records" is a well-crafted ensemble teen flick with loads of heart. It’s just fun. The soundtrack is very definitive of 1995 and if you were between the ages of 15 and 29 in 1995, you’ll like this film. Or you’re an idiot.

    "GoldenEye" was Pierce Brosnan’s first Bond film and is still the best one he did. It did everything right and it’s a shame to see them continually spiral down into the gutter since then. All James Bond fans know this one, and if you’re looking to get into Bond films, this isn’t a bad place to start. Though Sean Connery is still the best Bond ever.

    "The American President" is one of those sappy, predictable romantic comedies that once again proves all women love power. Was that too cynical? All kidding aside, this is one of the best date movies ever and is practically guaranteed to get you a little somethin’ somethin’ that night. If you don’t know what I mean, get out of the basement and tell your mother you’re moving out tomorrow. You’ll soon find out.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Search Engine Optimization