Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Favorite Comedies

1. Ghostbusters
2. Caddyshack
3. Airplane!
4. Spaceballs
5. Dumb & Dumber
6. Major League
7. BASEketball
8. ¡Three Amigos!
9. Office Space
10. Super Troopers


I didn’t include too many recent films because I don’t know if they have the staying power most of the films on this list have. I loved “The 40 Year Old Virgin” and “Anchorman” but I don’t know if they will hold up over time. I do know that each one of the films that made the list can consistently elicit laughter from my lazy gut, many years after their release.

Anyone who hasn’t seen the first three films on the list should be deported. They are the universal holy trinity of comedic cinema.

Bill Murray is a comic god. His transition to dramatic actor with a comic edge in such films as “Lost in Translation” and “Broken Flowers” is further proof he can do whatever he wants. Hell, he made parts of “Quick Change” bearable.

For most reliable comedic sidekick, I’d like to nominate Rick Moranis. Inside characters like Louis Tully and Dark Helmet is a veritable minefield of explosive comedy.

4 Comments:

Blogger General Anacock said...

Only ones I would disagree with are:


4. Spaceballs
- Not sure if this is Mel Brooks' best, I kinda like History of the World and Men in Tights better. It's one of those movies I remember being funnier way back when.


6. Major League
- Maybe my memory is scarred by the sequels, but I don't remember it being a groundbreaker. I'll give honorable mention to Bob Euchker and Serrano though....

8. ¡Three Amigos!
- Again, a movie I remember really liking when it came out, but when I've watched it recently, not so funny.

10. Super Troopers
- Saw this once, maybe I need to see it again.

Movies I might add:

Trading Places
Top Secret!
Anchorman (I think this is the movie that will outlast 'Virgin' and 'Wedding Crashers')
Spinal Tap (or Best In Show, Waiting For Guffman, Mighty Wind).
Clerks (I've been disenchanted with all of Kevin Smith's work after Chasing Amy, but I think Clerks is classic).
Animal House
Blues Brothers

10:49 AM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

I get where you're coming from. "Spaceballs" is the only Mel Brooks film that can hold my interest throughout the entire film, all of the others get bogged down somewhere in the film.

"Major League" has some of the best lines and reactions, and I tend to like sports movies.

"Three Amigos" is just so goofy that I love it. Granted, it was a late addition to the mix but the enxt film to make the list was probably going to be "Coming to America".

Yes, go rewatch "Super Troopers".

I liked all of the movies you also mentioned, though as far as Kevin Smith movies go, I'd probably say "Mallrats" is my favorite. Passionate, yeah!

10:39 PM  
Blogger General Anacock said...

'rats is my favorite too. I guess I just said Clerks to please any movie snobs that might frequent your site. har har.

Jason Lee basically carries any Kevin Smith movie he is in, while Ben Affleck drags them down to hell.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

I am surprised SWITCH forgot ZOOLANDER. But this is some high praise for Ghostbusters. I guess I can't disagree, since at one point in my prepubescence I had the entire film memorized line for line. "Shhhhh......Do you smell something?"

Also, I noticed "the Substitute" failed to make any of these lists. Ernie Hudson was in this film. He was also in Ghostbusters.

Maybe you could do a best Sequels List as well.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Engine Optimization